Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Is it what you are, or who you are?

Recently people in the "political correctness" camp have been denouncing anyone that slanders others by using "who they are" as a derogatory term. Good examples are some commercials I recently saw,(I'll post a link) in which someone says something is "gay," and then someone says "Imagine if WHO you are, was used as an insult...."
REALLY?! I thought WHO you are is different between every person. You are who YOU are!!! I don't care if you are gay, but that is not who you are, that is what you are!... unless you want me to say "hi gay" whenever I see you. The same applies to me, I am a Christian, but that is not who I am. I am still Eric. Do not get me wrong here, I am not saying that "gay" is an appropriate insult, nor am I defending homosexuality, but it upsets me to know that people in my generation are growing up thinking that gay is who somebody is. Lifestyles can affect who you are, but unless you are the essence of the lifestyle, it is not who you are.
Now to talk about PC. If you are part of a controversial lifestyle, be it bad or good, it WILL be made fun of, even if you can not help it(mentally challenged people). That is the world we live in, and again I'm not saying its right to insult people. So I guess what I'm trying to say here is stop whining! If you don't want to offend people by calling them names, then don't. But if you try to force other people not to insult you, they will resent you all the more for it, learn to roll with the punches! If you can do that and stay strong in your convictions, why would you be upset? Look at mentally challenged people. We could learn something from them. "Retard" is one of the most highly used insults and the mentally challenged have more a right than anyone to be mad about it. Yet the true handicapped people are (for the most part) some of the happiest people in the world, and really don't care that "retard" is used as an insult. I know that example breaks down because many don't have the capacity to understand an insult, but my argument remains the same. Name calling is a petty issue, and only distracts from the real issue at hand.

commercial link

No comments:

Post a Comment